Monday, May 16, 2011
Why Pride is Vital to Success
What does 'pride' mean to you? For me, 'pride' can be summed up by the All Blacks rugby team performing The Haka at the start of a match. It always sends chills down my spine.
There is a yearning. A mad passion. A fever that runs through their veins.
The eyes of every single player in that line up burns with a pride for their sport, their country and themselves as individuals. It's not every day that you are able to represent your nation, after all.
In my view, there isn't enough pride in the world. Outwardly at least.
What is it about human beings that makes us so quick to deride our talents, contribution and value?
If you'd like a surge of pride ripping through your veins here are a couple of tips:
1. Write down every instance that you can remember when someone important to you (friend, family, manager, colleague) complimented you or your work.
2. Think about instances when you were really proud of yourself and write them down. Perhaps...
- You over-delivered on a project at work.
- It was the day your child was born.
- You got a promotion.
- You showed tremendous courage.
- Perhaps you made a difference to someone else's life.
- Maybe you tried something new....
Pride is a phenomenally powerful feeling. And powerful positive feelings help us behave at our most resourceful and achieve our best outcomes.
And the key to pride is to have goals to aim for so that when you achieve them you have something to be proud about.
Take action today, in the next 24 hours, and think about the two tasks above. You'll be amazed at what you come up with!